NEW: Public Permitting and Services Portal
Visit the Public Permitting and Services Portal for right-of-way permits and more.
First-time users will need to first complete the one-time account registration process. Watch the How-to Register video. Once an account is created, users can:
- Apply for a permit
- Track status
- Schedule an inspection (Watch the "How to Submit an Inspection Request" video)
- View inspection results
- Conduct a search (Watch the "How to Search" video)
A permit is required for any work performed in the public road right-of-way. This includes repair and construction of sidewalks, driveways, accesses, sewer lines, storm drains and private water lines.
Permits ensure work in the public right-of-way is done safely and conforms with established standards while protecting the public and the transportation infrastructure.
Not sure if you need a permit? Call 503-846-ROAD (846-7623) or email us for assistance.
Visit the Public Permitting and Services Portal for the following right-of-way permits:
- Access: Establishes the point where ingress/egress occurs between private property and a county road and allows construction to occur to build said access point.
- General Construction: Allows individuals, businesses or public agencies to perform work such as drainage upgrades, sewer connections, new sidewalk construction, dust control application and frontage improvements in the public right-of-way.
- Sidewalk Repair: Allows property owners to repair or replace existing sidewalk panels.
- Sign Installation: Allows for signs installed by another public agency on public right-of-way and for neighborhood watch signs.
- Permit instructions/submittal checklist
- Neighborhood Watch signs: Contact the Washington County Sheriff's Office at 503-846-2774 for information related to this process.
- Utility: Allows a utility company to occupy the right-of-way with their facility (pipes, conduits, poles, vaults) and construct, maintain and service said facility.
ROW Agreement Forms:
NOTE: If using the Public Permitting and Systems Portal, a signed agreement will need to be uploaded to the portal before processing.
- Dust Control (PDF) Allows an individual to hire a contractor to apply dust control to a road along the frontage of their property. The contractor must apply for a general construction permit to apply the dust control.
- "No Spray" Agreement (PDF): Required to prevent Washington County from spraying herbicide in the right-of-way adjacent to a particular property. If you are new to the program, or need to purchase additional "no spray" placards, please contact us.
- Storage Container Agreement (PDF): Required to place or have placed any storage container used for the temporary storage of building materials, household goods, personal items and other materials.
- General Conditions (PDF)
- Insurance Requirements (PDF)
- Performance Bond (PDF)
- Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF) Credit card information accepted by FAX, over the phone or in person. Do not send by email.
- Fee Schedule - Operations (PDF) The fee schedule for LUT's Operations & Maintenance Division. These two pages are an excerpt from the Board-adopted, countywide Fee Schedule.
- Permit Amendment (PDF) Used to make changes to scope of work, contractor or person(s) responsible for permit.
- Road Design and Construction Standards
- Rules for Personal Wireless Service Facilities in Public Right-of-Way (PDF)
PDF versions of the applications are available below: